Wednesday 7 August 2024

Reflections to 50 - Day 49 Blasting Day

 Today is August 7

Whats on my mind today....26years ago was a dark dark day for Kenya - this was the 1998 bombing of the American Embassy in downtown Nairobi; and so many families lives were changed forever!

Where was I then?

I had a sales job on Biashara street - very difficult job for me, since i am not naturally inclined to ask strangers to buy something...anything.... but hey - was not being choosy since I was fresh off the campus boat. 

We were seated in the office having the morning brief, and we had the loud blast and saw the huge smoke coming from Kencom side - we actually assumed that Kencom was on fire. Those days news didn't travel fast - so we went on with what we were doing. Then because the job was a sales one, we had to basically leave the office and go look for clients to buy space in the magazines that the company produced, so I walked towards Kencom since I was curious as to what could have gone on there.

As I approached KenCom I realized the blast came from further down so I walked on....on reaching Harambee avenue, many people were walking / running in the opposite direction and I sensed that it may not be good to go too close after all and so I went on home!! I don't even know which transport means i used to get home since years later, people recount the way it was difficult getting out of town that day because of jam and lack of matatus!

God help us never to go back there again!



Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment