Wednesday 30 August 2023

Silver Jubilee!

4th Sept 1998


4/9/98 - 25yrs ago! This was the date I got my first job - real job - the one where KRA knows you have been employed and HELB is also aware.

So the year is 1998. I had cleared Moi University and was applying all over the place for all manner of jobs - I really was not choosy. I got this advert from my sisters friend. A local NGO needed an Administrator/Accountant and I applied for it. I was interviewed by women who I would later learn were bigwigs in women's human rights movement but I had no idea who they were! The NGO world was very very new for me and when I got  a call to report on September 1 1998 along Ngong Road near Baptist church; I was excited and was there early enough to start work!. 

I have never looked back after this.

My career has been in non-profits and I really love what I do. I have been schooled on women's human rights, on right based programming etc etc. Even if I am in finance & operations, I find deep satisfaction in knowing the actual impact we have on peoples lives!

I have been part of programs in women's rights, in refugee operations, in education, in disaster risk reduction...so many areas since needs are varied and run deep.

Over the years the most unique project I have been part of was a one year project that was funded by Dutch Post Code Lottery (like Kenya Charity Sweepstake) and it was a 2 page project document and the amount awarded was quite considerable. This is what TRUST looks like! The reporting requirements were quite lenient and basically we had to do what we had to do - and deliver as we had promised.

What I loved most about my first engagement was the way we had interns/volunteers come in and support the projects. The interns were from universities in Nairobi and all manner of personalities came through the doors. Recruiting the volunteers and interns was part of my job and I horned my skills in identifying right energies that we can work with.  The volunteers/interns were not being paid and so the interest really has to be from their end - and for sure kuna wale walijituma and to date I watch them making global waves and I am silently proud that i was part of their amazing journey!

The operating environment has become more and more strict - starting off I have experienced a donor who gave funds..a considerable amount...they were basically up the road from our office...and never once did they visit! and final report they wanted a one page excel!! very strange! Now you have donors who insist on photos having time stamps!

Oh how the landscape has changed!

Anyhoo....some things  I now know for sure (in no particular order):-

1. Passion is very evident - 

2. Money is not the only motivator

3. Don't stay in one place too long..unless your role changes...but doing the exact same thing? naaaa

4. Keep an open mind..learning never ends

5. Go beyond your role..take up that challenge!

6. If it doesn't serve your greater goal, exit!

7. Know what you want..and go for it!

8. No experience is wasted!...learn from each step you take

9. It is work, its not personal...and you are not indispensable!

10. Aim for excellence...that becomes your valuable brand.

11. Hold someone's hand...mentor a willing person

12. Get a passport! the travel opportunities come from the most unimaginable source!

13. Dont burn bridges...your reference is not only your supervisor :)



Here's to many more years of #LeavingNoOneBehind!


Old post alert - https://minkrasi.blogspot.com/2018/09/day-120-years-ago.html









3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your silver jubilee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh lovely big congrats -- now donors want time stamps - classic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece Hilda... quite motivating

    ReplyDelete