Wednesday 16 August 2023

Road to recovery...part 3

So its the evening of d-day Wednesday Aug 9

Back to the hospital bed in Nairobi Hospital HDU 

I am so groggy but can communicate

Then I realize I have tubes running from my sides to the floor and one from my chest to the floor. I think i ask either Getu or Sam to take a photo for me to see what's happening down there

I cant move at all

My hand is swollen.....they remove the line from there

My feet are frozen...I overhear my mum asking the nurse how come they have not yet put on me some compression socks..nurse whispers back...we are trying to get her size (I smile....seems my sizeable mazwembes are causing a problem..hehehehehe)...anyhoo....




I have no appetite..at all

I sleep deeply that night - but propped up in one position

Thursday Aug 10

Mercifully, am more alert...taking in my surroundings...my back is sore..being in one position isn't good for me...even if bed can tilt.  Mid morning, a guy in purple comes up to me and says..he is the physio guy...he says he needs to help me out of the bed so I can try walking and seating up straight...he lifts up the containers and am like woah....what's all that liquid!! I carry one and he carries 2 of them and hoists me out of bed and I can finally ambulate with his steady help. We walk ever so slowly along the corridor...and back. I can even use the loo!! instead of the embarrassing bed pan I had used the night before.

Still no appetite...even the soup has no taste

My two older kids have closed school...they come to visit...and stand far away..i feel for them! this they didnt know...am sure they had so many questions. LO is not allowed to visit HDU so i had to video call him later

8pm two nurses appear on both sides of the bed and say, Hilda...time for a bath! they basically give each other story as they wash me from head to toe, paka me mafuta and change the bedsheets in a swift well rehearsed move..i didn't even have time to gather my dignity and they were all like...done! You will have a good nights sleep now...

the night passes slowly...everytime somone walks by i ask the time...its 1am...its 2.30am...its 4am....weuhhh

am pumped up on meds...

Friday Aug 11

Doctor when doing rounds confirms I can be discharged to general ward on Saturday and home on Sunday...best news ever!

still on pain meds but orally....they have by now stopped meds via drip. Woke up at 3am in pain and had to be given more meds....

Saturday Aug 12

The Chest surgeon comes and finally disconnects me from the tubes! am free!! 

New word for me...sternum...the long flat bone that forms part of the front of the ribcage. That too had to be cut so that the doc can access the excess growth....

Lots of family and friends visit most of Saturday - including my little one - he was so happy (hakuna mambo ya visiting hours limitation...here its free for all...rather the security didn't interrupt us)

Most are amazed that I can talk and seat up...it was an exhausting day I must say

slept deeply and woke up at 4am in blinding pain...was given meds

Sunday Aug 13

HOME

Praise be to GOD Almighty!

May complete healing be my portion in Jesus mighty name.

Thank you family & friends for all the love and prayers for me and my family during this period




1 comment: