Wednesday 21 September 2016

Scaling Longonot!


Three years ago on this date I scaled Longonot!!

 Ok it’s a small hill compare to others, but I had never been so this was a fete to me

You see the local church had a group of people who used to train every Saturday and the aim was to be able to go up Longonot. I was quite diligent in attending the Saturdays, and it was quite rigorous…I almost gave up, but I was determined to be fit before reaching the fourth floor mark!!

Then came the Saturday and off we set to Longonot. We were to get there early, but we were a large group and so delays are expected,….we reached at 10am and this was apparently late.



Took some time to clear at the gate since we had some foreigners with us….but that got sorted and off we started. I appreciated why 10am was late when the hot sun hit us as tried to reach the top!! Ehh that climb was gruelling for me!! Soon I was the last one in our group and I was tempted to just wait for them to all go up and then come back down and join me and we walk back down. The coach could hear none of this and so I heaved myself up the mountain!!!

Of course what was also discouraging was the number of kids running up the mountain as if it was flat ground. I finally made it halfway, there is a nice place to seat and after a few minutes rest, made it to the very top. When I reached, the group had already assembled ready now to walk round the mountain….am like nope, this is good for me….the view is of course GLORIOUS!!!! I sat there as other groups made it to the top and experienced the exhilarating feeling! There was a considerably old woman…probably 70 who walked slowly to the top and imagine does this every so often! What a great way to experience nature!






The walk down hill was more manageable and we were soon at the bottom. There was a college group that was part of the group going down and sad thing was that one them was so drunk and was basically dragged down the hill by his also tipsy friends!! Wonder where the teacher was…I could not even imagine what could have happened if he slipped and fell down the mountain….eish….we kept shouting at them, be careful….hold him better….eish!!


Meanwhile….there was no network up the hill and so when we were back down and settled in the bus, is when I saw all the messages on the west gate attack!! Waaaaaaaaa

 

Wonder if I can do this again???

 



No comments:

Post a Comment