Thursday 14 July 2016

Fundi!!

Ah the frustrations of dealing with jua kali/ fundis!

So I needed a tailor for my kitenge - I was referred to this guy and I thought, oh well...I can always try him with this piece and if he prooves to be any good, then he becomes my official tailor.

Well he seemed to understand the kind of design I wanted, a peplum top - simple enough- and yes, he confirmed the fabric I had was enough. He took measurements, we agreed on price...then he said...come for it after one week....my wife will be done...am like, eh?? he says, yes, my wife is the one who makes the clothes but at another site, I just sell them from this point. I was like, aiii.....isnt part of the process is to look at how the client actually looks like??

Sure enough when I came back for the top, the peplum part looks like a tutu...it doesn't lie flat....like the ones worn by traditional dancers.....am already plus size, dont need more plus!!!..

Reminds me of another tailor who slowly took measurements for my trouser and made a tiny one that could fit me probably when i was 10!!!! and he looked at me, looked at the trouser, shook his head (with hand on chin for effect) and said...kweli hii ni ndogo (for sure this one is small)!!!!!!! and he is the one who took the measurements!! aiiiiiii....back to my expensive tailor!!

Lesson: cheap is expensive :)

No comments:

Post a Comment