Wednesday 13 April 2016

#REPOST Memories of Chox

July 26, 2014                                          

Backwards never,</p>forward we go on

Never returning, always</p>lets go on

There is a challenge</p>we face, with pride and with strength

In fide vade, in faith we go</p>

That’s the school anthem…..and so as fate would have it, I get
a chance to go back to the school after 22 whole years!! Of course, having used
the route to the school a long long time ago, my memory of the route was
totally different. I vividly remember the route being fairly straight forward…passing
acres and acres of free land….till one reaches Banana Hill…..then more unused land
till Kamonde and then a 2km stretch of walk in between tea plantation…then you
reach the school. On entering, you pass through a long driveway past the hall
then library….then the rest of the school.

Fast forward to today, and I wake up early hoping to reach
school at the agreed time of 10am…wapi….i seem to be driving for so long. I passed
Ruaka which I have never seen before (so you can imagine my shock at all the
buildings around there)!! I pass Limuru….and am thinking to myself, I doubt if
we used to reach this town…anyways, I still think am on the right track since
sija fika Kamonde…..and then its evident that am lost when I now see very tall
trees on either side of the road….wonder where I was! I boldly asked some two
men on the side of the road and they confirmed….rudi nyuma hadi barabara ya kuingia
Limuru, alafu…..needless to say, nilifika late lakini sawa tuu.

Walking round the school was surreal….so many memories!....
for sure I seem to have floated through high school…..the girls around me
seemed to have so many stories and I could only remember snippets of it. Amazing
memory people have!! Photos photos and more photos…..everything seems to have shrunk!!
The main block, the dorms, the chapel, the parade area….aiii….ama how big have
we grown really??


Finally we had a chance to speak to some current students,
really touched by their stories. Situations may seem desperate…but it’s really
not over if one is still alive, right?….hope the short talk we gave them
inspired them! Indeed backwards never….and in faith we go on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment