Sunday 14 February 2016

Of nuns and their immaculate attire.....

I have always admired the way nuns can keep so prim and proper despite their surroundings!!

I was reminded of this today, as I walked around Resurrection Garden and passed many many nuns...all in clean clothes, in various colours, stockings that matched their clothes and of course with kitenge shukas incase they need to seat/kneel. You see I attended schools run by nuns all my primary school life and this admiration was cemented in these formative years. In lower primary the nuns didn't wear veils, never quite understood why....but they kept short hair and most were Irish nuns (giving away my age right there!)

In upper primary, the school was boarding and next to a convent so we saw nuns alllll the time.....from very young ones to very old ones...and it didn't matter their age....all were very neat and their clothes looked freshly ironed even in the hot afternoons!!

Fast forward to present day.....and specifically to Merti, which is a very hot and dusty town in Northern Isiolo. I found myself in Merti on a Sunday and so decided to attend Holy Mass. Merti is the kind of place where by 9am it is already very very hot. Where I was staying was relatively near  the church so I decided an early morning walk will do me just fine. By the time I reached the church, I was, as expected, hot and sweaty!!  Incidentally I was early, so I had to wait under the shade of a kiosk opposite the church, and this didnt help in cooling me down. Anyways, when church finally started, I didnt feel conscious about my dusty feet since everyone seemed to be in the same boat. So enter this nun....in WHITE....looking like she dropped from above being so dustless!!  She took her seat on the bench, after carefully folded her kitenge shuka on the bench (that was probably very dusty in retrospect!)

Same script was repeated in Marsabit! with a headscarf because of the dust....

In Turkana, we flew by a small aircraft into a mission setting in Northern part of Turkana (cant remember the name) and you can imagine how dry most of the County is. We landed and since its a convent setting and little kids came round the aircraft once it had settled. The excited nuns also came to welcome us and we were soon seated in their pristine dining have tea and snacks. I mean just looking at spotless room one cannot imagine we were in Turkana county!!

Ehh, I guess cleanliness is next to Godliness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment