Wednesday 20 March 2019

Longonot musings...

So...I scaled Mt Longonot on Feb 23 this year (2019)



OK, actually more like I crawled my way to the top...and was shocked that it was just 3.5km to the top - felt like I had walked 35km!

The feeling to the top was mostly gruelling, wondering why am torturing myself to reach the top...but I soldiered on. The halfway rest point was a welcome relief, but I knew if I stayed there long enough I would not get to the top. So I picked myself up and did the last climb...I wanted to eat my banana at this halfway point but someone mentioned, better to wait....wish I hadn't listened to them! I needed the energy to take the final steps!

As I inched my way taking about 2 hours to the top, I was most of the time alone since the group I was with sprinted to the top...but no rush for me since they must wait for me to go up and get down....hehehehehe

Anyways, I have decided that this year its gonna be for me and mountains (well even hills count) and I plan to do at least 5 by September, so help me God!!

So since I took so long walking, I had a lot of time for reflection. Some things that went through my mind were

 - Goal setting - that all of us on this mountain that morning had one goal  - to reach the top! others had a secondary goal - to also go round the summit. So whether someone was dressed like they are from a formal meeting or headed to the gym...we were all on this mountain, so as to reach the top. Lesson is that to to reach the top of anything - effort is required...you need to get hot and sweaty to get what you want and even it means waking up early (by4am) so that you are ready for this goal, do it!

- Self motivation - Lazima ujitume! - you tell yourself, I will conquer this mountain come rain (with hailstones) or shine... and you go head and do it!

 - The encouragement helps - you can do it! ahh, we are almost there! eh, dont stop, lets go....dont seat for too long - the amount of unsolicited advise was comical, but also encouraging to me. This is also when going down, you find yourself also encouraging others since this was done to you; telling them, you are almost there!

- The props - when taking on a task, the props are also important to help you along. So in this climb, an innovative person has sticks fore rent...yes for rent...at 50bob and this was the most helpful tool!! So know the props you need for a task, and use them!

 - Trust each other - i found part of the path when going back down rather slippery from the gravel, so one had to tread carefully. At some point a gracious man offered me his hand to hold onto since i looked like i was about to slip off the path! This was so welcome...and i only had to hold onto him for like 10 steps and I was back on the good path. So take help when offered!

 - Know your limits - going round the crater was not for the faint hearted. Since this was my second time in Longonot, I knew I was not going to go round the crater! Climbing to the top was top of my goal and I was not about to push myself

 - Have fun fun fun


will i do it again?? well....maybe, but not immediately, maybe in a couple of months


No comments:

Post a Comment