Tuesday 21 June 2016

First Holy Communion with pomp....

So we are seated enjoying lunch by the ocean and notice two separate groups having parties

The girls are in lovely lovely white dresses and white stockings and the boys in black suits complete with bow ties (despite the swealtering Dar es salaam heat!!!). Its a party to celebrate their First Holy Communion - this apparently is a very big deal in this city and one person jokingly told us that waTanzania wanapenda sana sherehe!!

I guess for us a houseparty suffices - and mostly a few relations and thats it - one party even had a memory book complete with pictures where guests were signing!!!

Took me back to when I received my first Holy Communion - it was at the Holy Family Minor Basilica and I was in class two.  My sister and I wore long white dresses that had more net than material - which was the fashion then....I remember also that the lady who sewed them lived near Kongoni primary school, Nairobi West...used to have a photo of this day, but I have not seen it for a long long time. The church was packed that day since the ceremony was for a couple of schools and for some reason I vividly remember the entrance song was:-

'...Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
Enter his courts with praise,
Today will be, a Joyful day,
Enter his gates with.....




Well, all I can say, is that I wish them Gods blessings as they enter into this new phase of their Catholic Faith - its indeed a joyful day, and a moment to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment