Thursday 15 January 2015

Law courts and stuff

So Jan 8th was my last day of leave

As luck would have it, I needed to show solidarity with them as they found themselves in Traffic court...and this is how I spent my day. Having had my one day stint in these law courts as well not so long ago...I knew this was a whole day affair. I braced myself for this long day...and in all the rush actually forgot to buy me a newspaper!!

Anyways I reached the court at 10am and rushed to court number 9 - see I even know where it is (having been here before). The place was empty but a couple of people were outside waiting. I made a call to my contact and was informed that the court would start at 11am...da**...should have take some breakfast. I sat down and started the long wait. There is something about the courts that make people seem so subdued!! I looked at people around me and wondered what kind of traffic offence they had committed. most didn't look like they would hurt a fly!

Eleven came and for sure, the 'inmates' were led in and we were told to seat in another court room. by 1pm said friend has been slapped with a considerable amount as fine and so we (and another friend who came along) rushed to neighbouring bank to make the deposit that would secure his release. Cant help but wonder how much the government collects in fines...this was a loose Thursday and the quick math we didn't show a modest amount!! Lesson - obey traffic rules please else you end up contributing to government projects, and you are already paying taxes for that!!

we were done by 2pm (phew) and walked to town via Uhuru park and had a huge lunch in one of those Somali restaurants that serve food fit for a King ( a Queen and his subjects!! ie huge portions). Since the car was impounded, I gave up on accompanying them to Ruaraka to collect it...the sun was all out and I was still sleepy, having barely slept the night before (that's a story for another day)!

No comments:

Post a Comment